If you have trouble with ants showing up at your house, creating trails of damage and destruction as they go, you too may be looking for plants for deterring ants. Plants for deterring ants are often used as natural ways to keep certain pests from invading our homes. In this article I will discuss a few popular plants that can be used to deter ants in addition to one or two special methods of deterring them. One of the best ways to deter ants is to make their environment so undesirable they will seek somewhere else to set up camp. This is why it is helpful to identify what types of plants ants like, and then avoid those same types. Some plants that might attract ants: cucumbers, dandelions, sunflowers and citrus plants. The use of some chemicals may also be beneficial when trying to rid your garden or backyard of ants. Here are several home remedies for getting rid of ants naturally.
Plants To Repel Ants
Ants are one of the most common pests in homes and gardens. These tiny insects can make a big mess, especially when they get into your house or eat your plants.
There are a number of ways to keep ants out of your home and garden, but one of the most effective is by planting certain plants around your property. These plants will repel ants without harming them, so you can use them without worrying about harming any animal life!
Here are some of the best plants to deter ants:
1) Basil – You can grow basil in pots on your patio or balcony, or even in a windowsill indoors. Basil is known for its strong smell, which ants find very unpleasant. If you have an ant problem in your yard, try planting some basil near their nest—they’ll run away from it quickly!
2) Mint – Mint is another excellent plant for repelling ants because it smells just as bad as basil does! You can grow mint in pots like basil or even plant it directly in the ground if you have room for it (it grows pretty quickly). Just make sure that there’s no other mint nearby so that these two plants don’t compete for nutrients from the soil.
Ants are a common sight in many gardens and yards. While they may not be harmful to your plants, they can be annoying. The best way to deal with ants is to get rid of them before they get too close to your plants.
Ants tend to like sweet things, so you can often keep them away by putting out a dish of sweetened water or by sprinkling some sugar on the ground near your garden. If this doesn’t work, try spraying vinegar around the base of the plant to discourage ants from getting too close.
If these methods don’t work for you, there are other ways to keep ants away from your plants. One option is to spray plants with soapy water or using diatomaceous earth (DE). DE is made from fossilized algae that looks like powder and kills insects as it rubs against their exoskeletons when they walk over it. You can also use essential oils like lemon thyme oil or peppermint oil around your garden because these will repel ants without harming other insects or animals that might be beneficial for your garden ecosystem.
List of Plants To Repel Ants
- THE EASIEST WAY TO START A WINDOWSILL GARDEN: Growing your own fresh herbs at home has never been easier. With the new Back to the Roots Kitchen Herb Garden, you’ll be able to grow organic basil, cilantro, and mint right out of the can, year ‘round — no transplanting needed
- EVERYTHING INCLUDED TO GROW: Each Kitchen Herb Garden comes with organic plant-based soil, organic seeds, moisture-balancing biochar, & access to a free online STEM curriculum for kids. All you have to do is add sun & water. No chemicals, no transplanting, and no messy drainage holes.
- GREAT GIFT: The Kitchen Herb Garden has been ranked among the year’s top Gardening Gifts, Teachers Gifts, and Unique Gifts. It comes READY TO GIFT in beautiful packaging & will be sure to be THE gift of the year. Go ahead and treat yourself or a loved one today
- MADE IN THE USA & 100% TO GROW: All Back to the Roots Indoor Gardening Kits are backed by our 100% to Grow promise – if your kit doesn’t grow as described, we’ll replace it or provide a refund. We’re a small team based in Oakland, CA that’s committed to helping you grow.
- GROWS YEAR ROUND: Our cans are designed for indoor spaces, so you can have fresh herbs growing year ’round in any season – Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter
- EXPERIENCE THE MAGIC OF GROWING YOUR OWN FOOD: What began as curiosity for urban farming has turned into a passion to reconnect families to food through our indoor gardening kits. Join us on our mission to help everyone experience the magic of growing their own food
Additional Info :
- 2 large LIVE Citronella Mosquito repellent plants 4” to 8” tall, planted in individual 4” plastic pots. Our plants have up to ten times the root development of standard mosquito plants. Big and healthy. They arrive well packaged and ready to grow!
- Citronella Mosquito plants (Citrosa Geranium) are a NATURAL mosquito repellant for your yard, patio, pool area, front porch, or driveway
- These lemony-scented citronella plants keep an area up to 10 square feet virtually mosquito free. They require little tending and grow to about 4 feet high if the season allows
- With lush, green foliage, and the occasional pink-purple flower, the Citronella Geranium plant has a natural scent that mosquitos hate! Plant early in the season for maximum growth and effectiveness.
- Our plants are fast shipped for MAXIMUM freshness. Includes our Clovers Garden copyrighted QUICK-START Guide for growing robust citronella mosquito repellent plants. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Additional Info :
- Made with all-natural peppermint oil, SAFE to use around pets and children but rodents hate it! Non toxic – MADE IN AMERICA
- Safe to spray in your home or garden. Rodents naturally dislike the smell of this handcrafted peppermint formula and will repel pests almost immediately
- Proven to repel mice, raccoons, roaches, insects & more
- Contains two 8 ounce bottles of all-natural peppermint power – Enough for 2,000 sprays.
- Use anywhere that’s prone to pests – Garages, basements, kitchens, attics, sheds, trash cans, & more. Intended for indoor and outdoor use
Additional Info :
- Extra Concentrated for Long-Lasting Protection
- Natural Ingredients Proven Effective in the Real World
- Large 16oz Bottle
- Powerful Essential Oil
Additional Info :
- CHILD AND PET-SAFE RODENT REPELLENT: Made with peppermint oil and soap. Safe to use around pets and children. Repels and kills insects, roaches, flies. Cruetly-free, no artifical colors, fragrances, harsh chemicals. 100% Satisfaction or FULL REFUND.
- RODENT REPELLENT FOR CAR ENGINES: Prevents rodents, mice, raccoons, spiders, bugs, insects, and ants from crawling all over your house, basement, attic, yard, and car engine. Spray around windows, doors, baseboards, under sinks, in cabinets, house
- RACCOON REPELLENT: This peppermint oil spray repels rodents, mice, spiders, insects, flies, roaches, ants and keeps them away. This eco-friendly mice repellent and rat repellent can be used indoor, outdoor, and car engines. May kill roaches, spiders
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Made with natural ingredients in the USA. A refreshing and pleasant peppermint oil spray to keep your house smelling good while acting as a squirrel deterrent and a pest repellent. This 16oz bottle has up to 2,000 sprays.
- NATURALLY EFFECTIVE RODENT REPELLENT SPRAY. Protect against rodents, mice, and raccoons our non-harsh and non-toxic formula. Cruelty free, biodegradable with natural and organic ingredients. Made in the U.S.A. 100% Satisfaction or FULL REFUND.
Additional Info :