The most annoying, gross and embarrassing things that can happen to you is swelling in the affected part of the body after a bite. In this article, we will be addressing the cause and effect of swelling in the body due to bed bug bites. We’ll also be discussing how long does it take for a bed bug bite to swell, different ways to treat or relieve these bites and the best way to get rid of these pesky critters. Bed bug bite swelling, I hate them. I’ve had them all over my body. I’m telling you, there is nothing worse than getting bitten by a bed bug. You may have seen a lot of photos of bed bugs with big red welts around the bites, that’s because they need to feed on blood to reproduce. Bed bug bites, unfortunately, are sometimes accompanied by swelling. Those who are lucky may only experience a minor itchiness once they have been bitten. However, more serious reactions to the bite include hives, swelling, redness and sometimes even shortness of breath.
Bed Bug Bite Swelling
What Is the Normal Reaction of a Bed Bug Bite?
You may have noticed that some people react differently to bed bug bites compared to others. A small percentage of people experience a rash, redness, or swelling after being bitten by bed bugs. Normally, there is no itching or burning sensation when you are bitten by a bed bug.
If you think you have been bitten by a bed bug and notice any of the following symptoms, it’s important that you seek medical advice as soon as possible:
- Skin rashes (red bumps) on the skin
- Swollen lymph nodes under your arms and in your groin area (this is more common among men than women)
- Hives or welts on the skin where the bite occurred
- Runny nose or watery eyes – this indicates an allergic reaction
Who Is More Likely to Have Bed Bug Bite Swelling?
People with allergies are more likely to have swelling from bed bug bites. This is because their bodies are very sensitive and recognize the foreign substance as something negative, so they send out an immune response to fight it off. The body’s reaction may be more severe for some people than others.
Bed bugs are not known to spread any diseases, but you can become allergic to them and develop an allergy that causes swelling after being bitten by one or multiple bed bugs over time. Bed bugs don’t tend to bite people with darker skin because they need a certain amount of blood in order for their eggs (aka “nymphs”) to survive long enough until they hatch; this usually means biting someone who has lighter skin in order for them all not die before they can reproduce again!
Home Remedies for Bed Bug Bite Swelling
Bed bug bite swelling can be treated with home remedies.
- Wash the wound with soap and water.
- Apply a cold compress to reduce swelling.
- Apply aloe vera gel to soothe itching.
- Use hydrocortisone cream on your skin to reduce itching and irritation caused by bed bugs bites, especially if you have sensitive skin or eczema of any kind. You can also apply calamine lotion to reduce the itchiness that usually comes with bed bug bites.
When Should You See a Doctor?
See your doctor if you have:
- Suspected infection
- Pain and pus coming from the bite site
- Swelling around the bite site (redness, heat) that’s not going away within a few days. This may indicate an allergic reaction or infection. If you think you’ve been bitten by a bed bug, see a doctor—especially if your bites are painful or cause swelling that lasts more than two weeks. Your doctor can prescribe antibiotics if necessary and might also prescribe a steroid to reduce swelling; in some cases, he may take a sample of the bite and test it for bacteria or parasites.
Prevention of Bed Bug Bites and Infestation
- Keep your home clean and tidy. Clean up after yourself and keep clutter to a minimum; this will make it easier for you to spot bed bugs if they’re around.
- Use mattress covers on all mattresses, box springs, pillows and futons. These covers can be purchased at most hardware stores or online (search for “bed bug mattress cover”).
- Vacuum carpets thoroughly in your bedroom(s) at least once a week to remove any stray bed bugs that have fallen off the mattress or furniture while travelling across the floor.
- Wash all linens in hot water (120°F [49°C]) every week if you suspect an infestation has begun but are waiting for confirmation from a pest control professional before using insecticides themselves directly onto furniture surfaces where possible because these products can increase human exposure risk when used improperly indoors under certain conditions (i.e., high humidity).
If you wake up with swelling on your skin, think about if you’re getting bitten by bed bugs.
If you wake up with swelling on your skin, think about if you’re getting bitten by bed bugs. Bed bug bites are often in a line, which means that they can be confused for other things. If there are several bites in a row, it could mean that the insect was crawling along your skin and biting before moving on to another spot. This behavior is typical of bed bugs—they feed on people as they sleep because it’s less likely that they’ll be noticed or disturbed.
If you’ve found evidence of bed bugs such as eggs, shed skins or feces around your home (or anywhere else), it’s most likely that these small insects are responsible for your new red bumps too!
Also consider whether or not the rash may have been caused by something else entirely (like allergies) before assuming that you were bitten by an infestation of bedbugs!
- ALL NATURAL FIRST AID + WOUND CARE, soothes and helps relieve symptoms associated with minor skin wounds, superficial burns, swelling, itching, pressure ulcers, venous stasis ulcers, impetigo, blood poisoning
- 100% ORGANIC OR WILD HARVESTED INGREDIENTS harness the power of nature’s medicine cabinet. Ingredients including marigold, echinacea, elderberry, extra virgin olive oil, beeswax, pine, and Canadian fir balsam
- TRIPLE ACTION FORMULA is based on a 160-year-old Indigenous “Miracle Salve” that helps to draw out impurities and increases blood circulation and oxygen to aid recovery without harmful ingredients or worrisome side effects
- SAFE INGREDIENTS means safe for adults, children, pets and planet with no chemicals, no parabens, no phthalates, no petroleum, no animal testing, non-GMO
- OFFICIALLY MONOGRAPHED HOMEOPATHIC PHARMACOPIA INGREDIENTS included. Made in the USA by an FDA registered facility and produced in compliance with standard manufacturing guidelines
Additional Info :
- STOP ITCHY BITES FROM RUINING YOUR FUN Handy pocket size twist up stick is easy to carry so you can always be prepared when insect bites happen (and they always do). If you or someone you know is sensitive or allergic to mosquito bites (including baby) this convenient itch reliever will be YOUR NEW FAVORITE FIND for camping, hiking and any outdoor activity
- SAFE and EASY FOR CHILDREN TO CARRY and APPLY THEMSELVES The perfect bug bite thing to bring to camp. Works for bites, bumps, bruises and scratches. This all natural bug bite treatment is solid like a lip balm, so there’s NO DRIPPY MESS, NO ODOR, NO STING and NO HEAT PAIN when applying, and is completely natural and safe for all ages.
- MULTIPLE USES Not just bites, but also chapped or irritated skin, bumps, bruises, small cuts, scratches, chapped lips, sunburn, minor campfire burns, dry skin, CPAP machine nose sores, poison ivy and oak, scabies, eczema, jellyfish stings and as a treatment for other insect bites like chigger, flea, spider mite, gnat, bed bug, no see um and horse fly
- STOPS ITCH AND PAIN FAST thanks to the deep penetrating power of emu oil. EMU OIL ABSORBS INTO THE SKIN BETTER and faster than any other oil BECAUSE IT’S SO SIMILAR TO HUMAN SKIN OIL. This makes it the perfect base oil to carry the other anti itch and skin soothing ingredients with it for MAXIMUM EFFECT
- DON’T LEAVE THE HOUSE WITHOUT IT – Keep yourself, your family, kids and your friends itch with the On the Go Stick. Available in a MONEY SAVING 3 PACK so you’ll always have one handy. Keep them in your backpack, purse, first aid kit, tackle box, saddle bag, medicine cabinet and travel kit.
Additional Info :
- Removes insect venom, saliva, and other irritants left under the skin using suction
- By removing the irritant, the body stops producing the reaction that is causing you to itch & swell
- Works on: mosquitoes, bees, wasps, biting flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, sea lice & more
- Compact, lightweight, reusable and easy to carry
- Clinically Proven, kid friendly, 100% guarantee
Additional Info :
- FAST RELIEF FROM ITCHY BUG BITES: Whether it’s a nasty mosquito or bed bug bite, the itch and painful swelling will be gone quick with Zax’s Original Bug Bite and Anti Itch Cream.
- SOOTHING RASH RELIEF CREAM: Irritated dry skin, rashes, eczema, poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac got you scratching? Zax’s Original Anti-Itch Cream offers soothing relief.
- GET BACK TO THE GREAT OUTDOORS: Are you missing all your favorite outdoor activities; hunting, fishing, camping and hiking? Get back out there knowing Zax’s Original Bug Bite Cream has you covered
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Colloidal oatmeal Tea Tree Oil, Witch Hazel, Menthol helps relieve skin rash, itching and swelling
- ITCH RELIEF OR YOUR MONEY BACK: Apply 3x a day. If you don’t like it or aren’t experiencing the results you expected…we’ll give you a no-questions-asked refund. We stand behind all our products and know that you’ll love it.
Additional Info :
- 3.5-ounce tube of Benadryl Extra-Strength Cooling Itch Stopping Anti-Itch Gel for fast cooling relief from skin pain and itching from most outdoor itches
- Provides relief from most outdoor itches associated with insect bites, sunburn, scrapes, minor skin irritations, burns, and minor cuts
- Soothing anti-itch gel also provides relief from itching associated with rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
- Cooling gel formula contains 2% of the topical analgesic pain reliever diphenhydramine hydrochloride that works by blocking histamines to relieve itches associated with several ailments
- Intended for use by those ages 2 and up, soothing gel offers itch relief for kids and adults alike and is great to keep on hand during outdoor activities such as camping, hiking or taking a walk with the family
Additional Info :