When a bed bug bites, you can get an allergic reaction. You might not see it though. The symptoms of a bed bug bite allergic reaction are the same as when people are bitten by other insects. They include pain, swelling, and redness. Some people don’t have any symptoms. These symptoms can last for a few hours to a few days..Bed bug bites can cause a serious allergic reaction in some cases. Although the bites are itchy and uncomfortable, this is not a dangerous reaction. It’s recommended that you see your doctor if you experience symptoms of an allergic reaction including itching, hives, rashes and swelling to help you decide what treatment is best for you. Bed bug bites can affect people of all ages and backgrounds. This includes farmers, veterinarians, physicians, children, and the elderly. The most common way to obtain bed bug bites is from a visit to an infested home or hotel. Bites from bed bugs can produce redness, swelling, itching, and a rash that is similar to the bite of other insects such as mosquitoes and fleas. These bites are often intensely itchy. The allergic reaction to bed bug bites varies greatly among patients. In some cases, an infection in the skin can develop two days after a bite occurs. If you experience any symptoms of bites or bite reactions, contact a medical professional right away as you could be suffering from an allergy.
Bed Bug Bites Allergic Reaction
Apply a cold compress.
If you experience bites that itch, swell and become red, the best thing you can do is apply a cold compress to the affected area. A cold compress will help reduce swelling and itchiness as well as prevent a secondary infection. To make your own cold compress, simply soak a washcloth or towel in ice water for about 15 minutes. Press this cloth against the bite for 20 minutes at a time until symptoms subside. If you don’t have any ice on hand, simply place another towel in the freezer for 15 minutes before applying it to the bite area.
Take an antihistamine.
An antihistamine is a medication that blocks the effects of histamine, a substance in your body that can cause itching and rashes.
Common examples of anti-histamines include Zyrtec, Allegra, Claritin and Benadryl.
You can take an antihistamine pill or spray it in your nose to treat a reaction caused by bed bugs bites but they don’t work as well as topical corticosteroids do.
Some people switch from an oral form of the medication (a pill) to an inhaled form (a nasal spray) because it’s easier to use when you’re traveling or out with friends or family members who won’t be happy if you spray yourself with some kind of medicine before dinner!
Use a topical corticosteroid.
A topical corticosteroid is a medication that reduces inflammation in the skin. It may be prescribed by your doctor to treat itching, redness and swelling at the site of your bed bug bites.
If you do use a topical corticosteroid, follow these steps:
- Apply it only to the affected areas, not to open wounds.
- Do not apply it if symptoms get worse or last longer than 10 days (about 2 weeks). Tell your doctor if this happens so that they can help figure out what else might be causing your symptoms and how you can treat them.
Keep the area clean.
- Wash the area with soap and water.
- Clean the skin with hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol.
- Apply antibiotic cream to the bite to prevent infection.*
- Don’t scratch! If you do, keep your fingernails short so you don’t break the skin and make it worse.*
- Keep your skin covered as much as possible.* If you wear a bandage, change it regularly and put clean gauze on top of it to protect against bacteria from sweating through.*
There are steps you can take to help relieve allergic reaction symptoms
If you think you might have an allergic reaction to bed bug bites, there are steps you can take to help relieve symptoms.
Bed bug bites can be quite irritating and even itchy. In some cases, though not all, a person’s skin will become red and swollen around where they’ve been bitten. If this happens to you following a bed bug infestation in your home or hotel room, it could mean that your body is having a negative reaction to their saliva (which contains enzymes). While this type of allergic-like response is uncommon for most people who encounter bed bugs in their environment, some do experience it. If so, then your doctor may recommend antihistamines or other medications to ease the irritation as needed.
- 3.5-ounce tube of Benadryl Extra-Strength Cooling Itch Stopping Anti-Itch Gel for fast cooling relief from skin pain and itching from most outdoor itches
- Provides relief from most outdoor itches associated with insect bites, sunburn, scrapes, minor skin irritations, burns, and minor cuts
- Soothing anti-itch gel also provides relief from itching associated with rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
- Cooling gel formula contains 2% of the topical analgesic pain reliever diphenhydramine hydrochloride that works by blocking histamines to relieve itches associated with several ailments
- Intended for use by those ages 2 and up, soothing gel offers itch relief for kids and adults alike and is great to keep on hand during outdoor activities such as camping, hiking or taking a walk with the family
Additional Info :
Additional Info :
- ACTIVE INGREDIENT: The active ingredient in these delayed release tablets is omeprazole 20 mg, which works as an acid reducer to treat frequent heartburn. Compare to Prilosec OTC
- TREATS FREQUENT HEARTBURN: Amazon Basic Care Omeprazole Delayed Release Tablets 20 mg treat frequent heartburn that occurs 2 or more times a week
- ACID REDUCER: Amazon Basic Care Omeprazole Delayed Release Tablets 20 mg is a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) that deactivates pumps in the stomach lining to inhibit acid production at the source.
- 14-DAY COURSE OF HEARTBURN TREATMENT: Taken once every 24 hours for 14 days, Amazon Basic Care Omeprazole Delayed Release Tablets 20 mg is not intended for immediate relief of heartburn and may take 1 to 4 days for full effect.
- HEARTBURN TIPS: Do not eat late at night or just before bedtime. Certain foods or drinks are more likely to cause heartburn, such as rich, spicy, fatty and fried foods, chocolate, caffeine, alcohol and even some fruits and vegetables.
Additional Info :
Additional Info :
- CONTAINS: One (1) 80-count bottle of Xyzal Allergy Pills, 24-Hour Allergy Relief, Original Prescription Strength
- STARTS WORKING IN ONE HOUR: Xyzal gives you rapid relief from allergy symptoms, including sneezing; itchy, watery eyes; runny nose; itchy nose and throat
- TAKE ONCE FOR ALL-NIGHT, ALL-DAY RELIEF: Xyzal Allergy provides 24-hour relief that is as effective at hour 24 as it is at hour 1
- RELIEVE ALLERGY SYMPTOMS WHEN THEY’RE AT THEIR WORST: Taking Xyzal at night prevents suffering in the morning when pollen is at its worst
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH RELIEF: Xyzal is full prescription strength available without a prescription
Additional Info :