Have you ever woken up to find mysterious stains on your pillow? Frightening. The worst part about this experience isn’t the discovery of bed bug poop on your pillow but the fact that you have no idea how it got there. I’m here to tell you what is under your pillow (probably) and how you can get rid of bed bug poop on your pillow. If you have found bed bug poop on your pillow, then you are likely dealing with a fairly serious problem. Bed bugs are not puppies or kittens. You can’t just be cool and think that they’ll leave on their own after they were invited into your home by your neighbor. I’m sure you realize this already, but to just reiterate, bed bugs don’t commit suicide when they run out of host available blood. They will look for other sources of food.
What does a bed bug poop look like?
Bed bug poop is called castings, and it looks like tiny spots on your bed. They’re usually red because they contain digested blood, but once they dry out, they turn black or brown.
You may also see them on other furniture in your home, such as chairs and sofas.
The poop is made up of digested blood, which will no longer be red once it dries out. These droppings can be found in clusters—usually around the bed or other furniture that you spend a lot of time on—but they can also appear alone.
Can you wash off bed bug poop?
Well, that depends.
The dark splotches on your mattress, bedspread, and pillows come from the feces of bed bugs that have been feeding on you during the night. Cold water washing might do the trick for fresh, light stains. Heavier stains will need to be pre-treated with an enzyme based stain remover and/or a peroxide-ammonia mixture.
Bed bug fecal matter is actually pretty easy to clean up when it’s still fresh and still wet—just wash it away with cold water. If you don’t have a stain remover handy, try pouring straight ammonia on the stain and letting it sit for about 30 minutes before washing it down with cold water again. It should come out easily.
But if you’re looking for more specific advice for treating your mattress after finding bed bugs in your home? We’ve got some tips for that too:
Can pillows carry bed bugs?
Bed bugs are one of the most common pests in the world, and they can live in many different places. But one thing that often gets overlooked is that mattresses and pillows can also be a home for bed bugs.
Whether you’re sleeping on a mattress or a pillow, it’s important to make sure you don’t have any unwanted guests in your house. Here are some things to keep in mind:
Mattresses and pillows can provide a warm environment where bed bugs can grow and reproduce. When you’re buying new bedding, make sure it has been treated with pesticides to prevent bed bug infestations from happening. You should also try to keep your home clean and dry so that there aren’t any food sources for them to feed on.
How many times do bed bugs poop?
With the recent resurgence of bed bugs, it’s become increasingly important to know how often they defecate.
Bed bugs are able to survive long periods without sustenance and can go for months without feeding when necessary, but it is becoming well known that bed bugs have the ability to survive long periods without sustenance, but few people are aware that bed bugs defecate for a period of two weeks shortly after feeding.
When you’re trying to understand what you’re up against, knowing how often bed bugs poop can be critical.
What can be mistaken for bed bug poop?
Bed bug feces are not like other pests. Bed bug droppings are small, dark brown, and oval in shape. The eggs are also very small and light brown in color.
If you suspect bed bugs, you should look for additional evidence such as shed skins, hatched eggs, or the presence of blood. If you see shed skins or hatched eggs, it is likely that you have bed bugs.
List of Bed Bug Traps and Pillow Protector
The bed bug traps are designed to capture any bed bugs that are in your room. The traps come with a special pheromone that attracts the bed bugs, but they won’t be able to escape from the trap once they enter it.
Below is a curated list of the best products:
Harris Bed Bug Traps for Early Detection & Monitoring, 4 Pack
Price : $4.93
- Made in United States
Additional Info :
AllerEase Maximum Allergy Pillow Protector, Standard/Queen – 4 Pack
Price : $16.82 ($4.20 / Count)
- ADVANCED ALLERGY PROTECTION: AllerEase pillow protectors have tightly woven, expertly-designed fabric to prevent unhealthy household particles from collecting in your pillow. Standard/Queen-20 x 28 inch
- EXTEND PILLOW LIFE: Fully encasing your pillow with a durable and comfortable zippered protector extends the life of your pillow by keeping it fresh and clean.
- BREATHABLE FABRIC – Made of breathable fabric that won’t alter the feel, these protectors are soft to the touch. Plus, they do not retain heat, so you can get a comfortable and allergy-free night’s sleep.
- QUIET NIGHT: With a soft, quiet cover AllerEase pillow protectors help you sleep comfortably through the night.
- ALLERGIST RECOMMENDED: All AllerEase products provide clean allergy relief, are machine washable, and have a Lifetime limited warranty.
Additional Info :
Safer Brand 51703 OMRI Listed Diatomaceous Earth – Ant, Roach, Bedbug, Flea, Silverfish, Earwig, & Crawling Insect Killer
Price : $9.47 ($0.14 / Ounce)
- Say Goodbye to Bugs – Kills a variety crawling insects including roaches, ants, fleas, silverfish, earwigs, bedbugs, and more
- Attracts and Kills – Made from diatomaceous earth and selected baits, this powder causes insects to dehydrate and die within 48 hours after contact
- Mechanical Killer – Unlike many traditional chemical insecticides, insects cannot build an immunity to diatomaceous earth
- Use Where Insects Hide – DE can be used indoors or outdoors. Apply in cracks and crevices, along baseboards, or create a barrier around entry points
- Peace of Mind – This powder is OMRI Listed and compliant for use in organic gardening so you can use it without worry
Additional Info :
Reading Pillow Bed Wedge Large Adult Backrest Lounge Cushion with Arms and Pockets | Back Support for Sitting Up in Bed / Couch for GERD Heartburn Bedrest by ComfortSpa (Grey)
Price : $39.99
- DELUXE READING PILLOW – Experience ultimate comfort with the ComfortSpa shredded foam reading pillow that perfectly adjusts to your position for your personal comfort. Full-sized ARMS with TWO SIDE POCKETS to keep your phone, glasses, book, tablet, or remote accessible and close at hand.
- PERFECTLY SIZED BED WEDGE – This ComfortSpa backrest measures a full 18 inches high and 15 inches wide, providing a firm back support pillow . Each arm extends out 11 inches to support your shoulders and neck, reducing shoulder and neck pain. While large enough for an adult , this back rest can be used by the entire family.
- VERSATILE COMFORT – Lounge cushion provides comfortable back support for sitting up in bed as you read a good book, while watching TV, or even surfing on your laptop or tablet before falling asleep. If you’re on bedrest or suffer from GERD or heartburn , use as a wedge to elevate your upper body to help you stay more comfortable and sleep better .
- EASY CARE – Our ComfortSpa lounge pillow has a beautiful grey velour polyester cover that feels delightful and is easy to spot clean with a damp cloth. The shredded foam padding doesn’t clump; so, it stays soft and comfortable. The attached fabric handle makes it easy to carry your pillow with you from room to room.
- GUARANTEE – We’re sure you will love your new reading pillow, and we have a no hassle 100% guarantee refund policy. If you use your ComfortSpa Reading Pillow and do not love it, simply return for a full refund, even used. Add one to your cart today.
Additional Info :
Guardmax Waterproof Pillow Protectors – Zippered Pillow Covers Bed Bug Hypoallergenic Pillow Cases, Protects from Dirt, Debris – Standard Size (20″x26″) 4 Pack
Price : $19.99
- Zippered PROOF – Rest peacefully knowing that bedbugs won’t be bugging you tonight. Our super fine zipper will keep bedbugs out completely. Our smooth, breathable, stretchy fabric will never tear or crack. Top-notch quality.
- 100% WATERPROOF on Top, Sides & Bottom – Our protectors seal out moisture, liquid, saliva, sweat and anything wet. A GREAT IDEA for people with children or grandchildren who spend the night.
- Healthy AND HEALTHY – Protect yourself and your family against particles s, debris and . They Are 100% Safe for Your Kids. They’re also great to use at hotels when you travel.
- QUIET & RESTFUL NIGHTS –You won’t experience any crinkling, cracking, or annoying sounds like most waterproof cases. Not only is our material ultra-plush and soft to the touch, it’s also quiet. You are going to love it. For a small investment, you can keep your pillows looking new for years to come.
- EASY WASH & CARE – Our protectors can easily be machine washed and dried. Not only do they wash well, they hold up beautifully. You can wash just the covers and not the pillows. Your complete satisfaction is our top priority. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
Additional Info :
Final words are, In order for these traps to work properly you will need to place them near your bed, preferably under the sheets or on top of the mattress. You can also place them on furniture around your room as well if needed.