Fleas are tiny insects that can cause a lot of damage to your cat. They can transmit diseases, bite humans, and even cause anemia in cats if left untreated. If you have ever had to deal with fleas, you know how frustrating it can be. Fortunately, there are several ways that you can stop flea bites on cats, but first, let’s look at some of the ways that they get into your home.
Fleas are a common problem for cats, but they also can spread to humans. If you have a cat, you probably know how much they can scratch and bite, especially when they’re trying to get away from fleas. This article will give you some tips on how to make sure that your cat doesn’t spread fleas or other parasites to you.
Fleas are small insects that feed off the blood of animals. They generally live on dogs and cats, but can also live in other animals such as mice and rabbits. They are about the size of a sesame seed and have six legs with two antennae sticking out from their heads. Fleas are very fast; they can jump up to 15 inches (38 cm) high.
The most common way that cats get fleas is by going outside and coming back inside with them on their fur. Once they are inside your home, they will start biting your cat until they find somewhere safe to lay eggs. The eggs hatch into larvae which then fall off onto the floor where they will eventually turn into adult fleas or pupae depending on what type of flea it is (cat vs dog).
Use an Anti-Flea Collar
Anti-flea collars are a useful tool for preventing fleas from biting you. They should be worn at all times and changed monthly. While wearing the collar, check it frequently for signs of wear or damage, as this may indicate that it is no longer working effectively. If your cat has a collar that needs replacing, then remove the old one safely and dispose of it properly by taking it to an animal shelter or vet clinic that will reuse them with other cats and dogs in need of new collars.
The best way to keep your pet safe while they’re wearing their flea collar is by washing it in hot water and drying it in a hot dryer every time you replace them with new ones after three months’ use (or earlier if signs indicate). When storing them away from children and pets until next use, ensure they are kept in a cool dry place where neither can reach out easily.
Use A Flea Comb
- Use a flea comb. Fleas are small and difficult to spot, even with a strong magnifying glass. A flea comb can help you get rid of the little pests by picking them up in one place and removing them from your pet’s fur.
- Clean your pet’s fur before combing. Before using the flea comb on your cat, it’s important to clean its fur thoroughly so that there are no loose hairs or dirt particles left behind that might cause irritation later on in the process. You should also check for any signs of skin irritation around the neck area where fleas tend to bite most often—if you see any redness or bumps developing there already, this could mean that some bites have already been taken out so make sure not to handle this area too much while grooming.
- Clean your pet’s fur after combing. Whether or not there were any live fleas still hiding amongst their coat (and we hope there weren’t), make sure you wash off any dead ones as well because they could cause reactions later on down the line if left untreated properly the first time round now, wouldn’t they?
Try a Natural Approach
A natural approach to flea control is one of the best ways to keep your cat fleas from bugging you. Natural products are safe and effective, but they’re not as strong as chemical sprays. This means that you may need to use more products than you normally would with a chemical spray, or it could take longer for them to work on your pets. However, the upside is that natural products tend to be cheaper than chemical ones. If you want something even more cost-effective, try making your own homemade flea spray.
Wash Bed Linens and Clothing
First, wash bed linens, towels, and clothing in hot water. This will kill the fleas that are on them. Next, you can use vinegar and water to wash your bed sheets. If you have a flea problem, flood the area with an insecticidal spray or use flea shampoo on your cat’s fur. After washing all of your clothes in hot water (again), put them out to dry on a sunny day so that they get completely done before the dark time arrives again.
You should also go ahead and launder any items made from fabric such as pillowslips – these are perfect places for fleas to hide out during the daytime hours while they wait patiently until nighttime comes around again so they can bite people like me who own cats.
If all else fails then try putting those items into direct sunlight at midday before bringing them indoors again – this will kill off most if not all of those pesky little insects which may have survived the first round of treatments mentioned above.”
Bathe Your Pet
The best way to get rid of fleas is to bathe your pet in a flea shampoo. Follow the directions on the bottle, but generally speaking, you will dilute it into the water and then rub it onto your cat. Rinse thoroughly, dry off with a towel, and keep your cat indoors for 24 hours or until completely dry (this will help prevent reinfestation). Repeat this process weekly until no new bites appear after bathing.
- Vacuum carpets, rugs, and upholstery.
- Vacuum floors and under furniture.
- Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter if possible. A HEPA filter will trap fleas before they can jump back onto you or your pet(s).
You can help ease the annoyance of fleas by keeping your pet and home clean.
To help keep your home and pet free of fleas, you should clean regularly. You should also wash all bedding and linens on a regular basis. If you are unable to wash a load of laundry in your home, take it to the laundromat or use an in-home service.
If you have carpets in your home, you should vacuum them daily if possible and shampoo them at least once every three months (more often if needed). If you don’t want to shampoo the carpets yourself, hire professional carpet cleaners who will come into their homes and do this for them for a reasonable fee. While vacuuming is helpful for removing dirt and debris from floors, water is best for ridding carpets of flea eggs that may be present there—shampooing only helps remove adult fleas from the surface but does not kill eggs already laid there.
What Can I Put On My Skin to Stop Cat Fleas Biting Me?
List Of Products To Get Rid of Fleas
The following products can help you get rid of the fleas on your dog.
Most of these products have been tested, and they have all received good reviews from users. However, it is important to keep in mind that each product will work differently on different dogs. This list is meant to be a guide, but your dog may respond better to a different product than what is listed here.
Advantage II 6-Dose Large Cat Flea Prevention, Flea Prevention for Cats, Over 9 Pounds
Price : $59.98
- 6-month supply of advantage II topical large cat flea prevention
- Easy-to-apply and pre-measured flea treatment application tubes, fragrance-free and waterproof after 24 hours
- Advantage II large cat flea prevention kills fleas through contact, meaning fleas don’t have to bite your cat in order to die.Avoid contact with eyes or clothing
- Starts working within 12 hours and protects your cat for up to 30 days. Kills fleas in multiple life stages; Eggs, larvae and adults to break the flea life cycle
- Vet recommended, fragrance free and designed specifically to treat and prevent fleas on cats
Additional Info :
|Color||Blacks & Grays|
Rocco & Roxie No Chew Spray for Dogs – More Bitter Than Apple Pet Corrector – Dog Training Essentials to Stop Chewing – Best Alcohol Free Anti Chew Puppy Deterrent Formula for Puppies and Cats
Price : $14.97 ($1.87 / Fl Oz)
- EFFECTIVELY DISCOURAGES CHEWING Stops pets from licking and chewing skin, fur, bandages and wounds.
- TWICE AS BITTER The super bitter taste pets hate, thanks to our double-strength extreme bitter formulation. LONG-LASTING ALCOHOL-FREE FORMULA Works longer than alcohol-based formulas which evaporate as the alcohol dries.
- WITH CALMING COPAIBA OIL FOR SOOTHING HOT SPOTS Spraying on rough, tender skin? Stop the aggravating behavior—AND help soothe and heal hot spots thanks to tea tree essential oil.
- SAFE ON FURNITURE—GOOD FOR SKIN Use as often as needed! Kind to all sorts of fabric, fur and furniture— including drapes, shoes, electrical cords as well as paws, tails and pet’s itchy skin.
- PROFESSIONALLY FORMULATED! 100% GUARANTEED And as always, we stand behind our products 100%. We earn your five-star reviews by making high-quality products that work.
Additional Info :
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray | Flea Treatment for Dogs and Home | Plant-Based Formula | 32 Ounces
Price : $10.49
- GENTLE PROTECTION: Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Home Spray uses certified natural ingredients to kill fleas, flea eggs, and ticks on contact.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Whether facing an active infestation or are applying for routine prevention, our spray is scientifically proven effective against pests but gentle enough to use around the whole family.
- CERTIFIED NATURAL OILS: Each steam-distilled essential oil is selected for its potent pest-fighting properties and is 100% Certified Natural.
- TOTAL HOME DEFENSE: Applies easily on surfaces, indoors and out, including dog bedding, crates, furniture, blankets, upholstery, carpets, outdoor surfaces, and more. Also gentle enough to be applied directly on dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older.
- MADE IN THE USA: Our products are proudly manufactured in the USA with quality domestic and internationally sourced ingredients.
Additional Info :
bSerene Pheromone + Catnip Calming Solution for Cats 60ml Spray Works Fast to Help Reduce Hiding, Scratching, Fighting, Marking, Stress, Anxiety at-Home or Travel Vet, Thunder, Fireworks (440223)
Price : $28.00
- PHEROMONES ARE DRUG-FREE bSerene mimics the feel-good signals cats naturally produce to feel safe
- REDUCES STRESS AND BEHAVIORS caused by anxiety such as hiding, scratching, fighting, urine marking
- FAST-ACTING TO HELP CATS COPE WITH STRESS at home and on-the-go travel; perfect for vet visits, car rides, thunderstorms, and other loud noises
- EASY SPRAY BOTTLE Apply directly to blankets, carriers, and crates; wait 15 minutes before introducing your cat to sprayed area, contains CATNIP to attract your cat to the sprayed area
- BOX CONTAINS One 60ml Calming Pheromone plus Catnip Spray
Additional Info :
FRONTLINE Plus for Cats and Kittens (1.5 pounds and over) Flea and Tick Treatment, 3 Doses
Price : $38.99
- The name in flea & tick protection trusted by pet owners for over 20 years, this waterproof, fast-acting flea and tick treatment kills fleas, flea eggs, lice, and ticks, including those that may transmit Lyme disease.
- Designed for use only with cats and kittens, this long-lasting treatment is made for cats eight weeks or older, weighing 1.5 pounds or more.
- Made with two active ingredients, fipronil and (S)-methoprene, this treatment stops infestations and prevents new ones.
- Applied on a single point on your pet, the treatment rapidly covers your cat’s entire body and deposits in the sebaceous glands. These glands as a reservoir, continuously replenishing the treatment onto your pet, working even if your cat gets wet.
- One dose of FRONTLINE Plus lasts 30 days.
Additional Info :
A flea infestation is a frustrating problem, but it’s not one without solutions. Using the methods listed here, you can help ease your discomfort and make sure that your pet stays healthy and happy. By following these steps, you’ll be well on your way to getting rid of those pesky little fleas.