Pest control has become a very common issue for many homeowners, especially for fruit tree owners. Though it can be a rather stressful situation to be in, you can feel safe knowing that there are a variety of organic and non-toxic pesticide options available to you. In fact, many organic alternatives are safer than their chemical counterparts. As a fruit tree farmer, you are a steward of the land and the environment. Customers expect nothing but the best, and that means growing fruits with few or no pesticides. Organic pesticides must be safer for the environment, have less chance of contaminating groundwater sources, be more effective, and [should] have minimal impact on non-target species (such as pets, wildlife, or human beings). This article is about some of the natural ways you can apply to control pests common in fruit trees.
Natural Pest Control For Fruit Trees
Amaryllis belladonna, also known as “Deadly Nightshade”, is considered a natural pest control for fruit trees. It is toxic to humans and should be planted around the base of your fruit tree. The plant grows best in full sun and will die back during winter months.
Amaryllis belladonna has many other names including: Amaryllidaceae and Belladonna Lily (in Latin).
Basil is a wonderful herb that is not only delicious, but also repels flies and mosquitoes. Basil can be used in salads, soups and stews. It is great with tomato based dishes as well as pasta sauces. Basil leaves are also great in tea to help relieve colds and fevers.
Basil works great on its own when planting fruit trees because it repels harmful pests like asparagus beetles, whiteflies and spider mites among others. It will also keep away aphids, hornworms (tomato or corn earworm) cabbage loopers and houseflies from your garden area. Another benefit to growing basil around fruit trees is that it helps deter rabbits from eating their fruits! Basil’s scent puts them off so they won’t enter the area at all!
Lavender is a natural pest repellent that can be planted near your fruit trees to keep out pests. Lavender also makes an excellent mosquito repellent, so you may want to consider planting it in your yard if you find yourself dealing with mosquitoes.
Adding marigolds to your garden is a good idea for several reasons. First, marigolds are great companion plants. They help deter pests, repel insects and improve the soil around them. Marigolds also attract pollinators like bees and butterflies, which is essential for your fruit tree’s flowering season. Additionally, marigolds can help filter out nematodes (tiny worms) in the soil that could harm your trees’ roots if left unchecked.
Nasturtiums are a great choice for the organic garden. Their bright, cheerful flowers are edible and can be used in salads or as garnishes. They also have a number of uses as a natural pest repellent around your fruit trees. Nasturtiums repel aphids and whiteflies, deter beetles, squash bugs and striped cucumber beetles from attacking your fruit tree leaves by releasing an odor that interferes with the pheromones that insects use to communicate with each other. This can help keep unwanted pests away from your plants!
Oregano is a perennial herb that can be found in many gardens, and one of its most effective uses is for controlling pests. It’s also great for attracting bees and butterflies to help with pollination, which can help your fruit trees produce healthier crops.
Oregano has been used as a herbal remedy since ancient times, and it is still used today for both culinary purposes and medicinal treatments. The strong smell of oregano repels most types of pests from fruit trees, so you can plant this herb around your trees without worrying about any damage being done.
Oregano is easy to grow indoors or out; there are many different varieties available at local nurseries or online if you don’t have access to fresh oregano seeds where you live.
Parsley is a great companion plant for your fruit trees. It’s natural bug repellent and attracts hoverflies and ladybirds, which help to control pests such as aphids. Parsley is also an excellent source of vitamins!
Red clover is a legume that fixes nitrogen in the soil, which means it provides nutrients for other plants to grow. It also benefits the soil and plant systems by improving water infiltration, adding organic matter, reducing erosion and providing shelter for beneficial insects. Red clover can be used as a cover crop on orchards to attract pollinators like bees and butterflies.
Red clover is easy to grow from seed and will tolerate many different types of soil conditions (from sandy to clay). Plant your red clover seeds after all danger of frost has passed but before warm weather arrives; if you wait too long into spring, you may find that your crops won’t germinate properly because they’re getting too hot!
Rosemary is an herb that attracts and repels insects. It can be used to repel the following pests:
- Scale (an insect that sucks sap from plants)
Rosemary is not harmful to animals, but it may be mildly toxic if eaten in large amounts by people or pets. It’s safe for use around fruits trees and vegetable gardens as long as you don’t eat any yourself! If you’re growing rosemary near your fruit tree, make sure it doesn’t get in contact with the roots because this could cause them to rot.
Using companion plants can naturally control pests in fruit trees.
Companion planting is the practice of planting two or more crops together. The idea behind companion planting is that certain plants benefit from each other’s presence, while others help repel pests in your garden.
For example, marigolds are known to repel aphids from your fruit trees and attract beneficial insects like ladybugs! While this tactic might not be enough to eradicate a serious pest problem on its own, it can help keep your fruit tree healthier and happier in the long run.
- Monterey Fruit Tree Plus for Control of Insects, Diseases & Mites Conc 1pt Fruit Tree Spray Plus is a combination of 70% Neem Oil and natural pyrethrins that provide knock down and residual insect control
- It is considered to be an insecticide, miticide and fungicide and it also controls the larval, egg and adult stage of their lifecycle
- It controls many insects such as aphids, scales, mealybugs, whiteflies, caterpillars, fungus gnats, stink bugs, ants, mites and many others
- Prevents fungal attack of plant tissue
Additional Info :
- Newly Revised with the Latest, Safest Organic Solutions.
Additional Info :
- Special formula: specially-formulated to use on over 100 listed fruits, vegetables, and citrus plants to kill insects and prevent new infestations
- Insect killer: kills Asian Citrus Psyllids, aphids, whiteflies, and more
- Season-long protection: one easy application provides season-long protection without spraying
- Rainproof protection: systemic rainproof protection is absorbs and will not wash off
- Systemic rainproof formula
- Treats up to 640 Sq. Ft. of vegetables or up to 9 fruit trees
Additional Info :
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH READY TO USE SPRAY – No mixing required. Trifecta Crop Control Ready To Use is diluted at maximum strength 2oz per gallon ratio. Simply point and spray and thoroughly wet the plants until foliage is dripping including the underside of the leaves and the surface of the growing medium.
- EASY SOLUTION TO HELP BEAT MILDEW, MITES, AND MOLD – Crop Control is the natural growers’ choice to help protect and cure Powdery Mildew, Spider Mites, Russet Mites, Broad Mites, Botrytis, Grey Mold, Aphids, fungal and parasitic species on plants.
- SAFE FOR USE ON MOST PLANTS – Use for most crops including fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, roses, flowers, trees, shrubs, houseplants, succulents, ornamentals and more. Save time and money with this quick and easy solution to mildew, mold, and fungus. *Test spray a few leaves full application*
- FARMER RECOMMENDED – Unique blend of food-grade PREMIUM essential oils including garlic, thyme, clove and peppermint oils broken down to NANO-SIZE particles for MAXIMUM COVERAGE. Crop Control is made with natural food-grade ingredients so you can feel good about what you are putting on your plants and the planet.
- GUARANTEED TO WORK FOR YOU – We are totally confident that Trifecta Crop Control will work for you, as it has for thousands of other growers. With your Trifecta Crop Control purchase, you are protected by Amazon’s money-back guarantee (all terms apply) so you can order now with CONFIDENCE.
Additional Info :
- USE YEAR ROUND: Our 3-in-1 product provides year-round protection against insects, mites, and diseases. Can be used at the dormant stage, green tip stage, delayed dormant stage, and during the growing season to prevent pest infestations and disease
- INSECT KILLER: Product envelops and smothers a variety of insects including adelgids, aphids, scale insects, mites, mealybugs, and certain species of moth
- DISEASE PREVENTION: Helps to control powdery mildew, rust, greasy spot, botrytis, and other listed diseases
- FOLIAGE PROTECTOR: Used to protect pears, cherries, ornamentals, shrubs, peaches, asparagus, corn, peppers, roses, and other crops listed on the label
- ORGANIC GARDENING: The active ingredient of All Seasons Spray Oil is mineral oil. Unlike harsh chemicals, mineral oil leaves no toxic residues. This natural product is approved for organic gardening and is safe to use around people and pets
Additional Info :