Some garden plants are pests or host insects that harm other plants. Natural pesticides for plants include organic alternatives such as soap and pepper sprays to kill various insects infesting the plant. Natural pesticides for vegetable garden include homemade concoctions, such as garlic spray for aphids, that work fairly well to reduce insect damage to plants. Most people use pesticides and insecticides to kill pest that eat or damage their garden plants. This article is going to look at natural alternatives to pest control treatments. Most pesticides are chemicals that are composed of nerve toxins, growth regulators, and sex hormones that can be fatal to humans.
Natural Pest Control For Garden Plants
Take action before pests attack.
The best way to keep your garden safe from pests is to prevent them from attacking in the first place. This can be done by having an action plan in place, identifying potential problems early on (and before they become a major issue), and implementing preventive measures as soon as possible.
Here are some examples of how you can prevent pests from damaging your plants:
- Planting herbs such as lavender or chives near vegetable gardens will deter aphids and other bugs.
- Using row covers over small-space plantings helps prevent damage from insects, birds and other predators.
Use natural repellents such as homemade sprays.
>* Use natural repellents such as homemade sprays.
Herbs like basil and garlic are pungent, so they make great repellents. You can spray plants with a mixture of peppermint oil and water to repel aphids. If you’re dealing with bugs, try mixing water with hot peppers!
Use row covers to keep predators out.
Row covers are an easy to make and inexpensive way to protect your plants from pests. They come in several different sizes, styles, and materials.
Row covers can be supported by hoops or string lines. They can also be used as floating row covers if they’re large enough; simply suspend them over your garden with a rope or wire frame.
Grow plants that attract beneficial bugs.
- Planting a variety of plants that attract beneficial bugs is one of the best ways to keep pests under control.
- Beneficial bugs include ladybugs, lacewings, praying mantises and predatory mites. They all eat pests or eggs.
- Some examples of beneficial insects are:
- Ladybugs (which feed on aphids)
- Predatory mites (which feed on spider mites)
- Praying mantises (which eat aphids and other small insects)
- You can also use companion planting to attract beneficial bugs to your garden. For example, marigolds deter many garden pests while attracting aphid-eating ladybugs and other helpful creatures like lacewings
Pull weeds and remove debris from the garden promptly.
Weeds are a problem, but they can also be a solution. When you control weeds in your garden correctly, they can help to eliminate pests and disease. The best way to do this is by pulling weeds as soon as they start to grow. This will prevent the weeds from maturing and producing seeds. If you don’t remove them early on, the weeds will develop into mature plants with many leaves and flowers that attract certain insects and animals that destroy other plants in your garden.
Removing debris such as dead leaves, stems etc., is another form of pest control—it helps prevent diseases from spreading throughout your garden by eliminating areas where bugs might hide or lay eggs
Use pheromone traps to reduce pest infestations.
Pheromone traps are a safe and effective way to control pests. They use pheromones, which are chemicals that attract the insect pests in question.
The best kind of trap is one that contains this chemical lure, or pheromone, and also traps the pest so it can be disposed of safely and easily.
Control pests in your garden by using natural remedies and attractants.
- Control pests in your garden by using natural remedies and attractants.
- Use pheromone traps to attract the pests, then destroy them.
- Use row covers to keep the insects out of your garden beds. These are especially useful for small gardens or raised beds where you can enclose the area with a wall or fence while leaving an opening at one end so that you can access it. Row covers should be removed when plants begin to flower, because they won’t like being covered up then either!
- Use repellents as an alternative solution; make sure not to spray directly on any plants so that they don’t get damaged or killed off faster than necessary. You might want to try something like citronella oil which will keep away mosquitoes naturally without having any negative effects on people who visit your home later on down the line (and maybe even help them sleep better at night too)! Another option would be using garlic paste around doorways if you have mice inside causing problems; this method works very well but may not be effective against other types of animals such as squirrels which love chewing through wires inside homes.”
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH READY TO USE SPRAY – No mixing required. Trifecta Crop Control Ready To Use is diluted at maximum strength 2oz per gallon ratio. Simply point and spray and thoroughly wet the plants until foliage is dripping including the underside of the leaves and the surface of the growing medium.
- EASY SOLUTION TO HELP BEAT MILDEW, MITES, AND MOLD – Crop Control is the natural growers’ choice to help protect and cure Powdery Mildew, Spider Mites, Russet Mites, Broad Mites, Botrytis, Grey Mold, Aphids, fungal and parasitic species on plants.
- SAFE FOR USE ON MOST PLANTS – Use for most crops including fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, roses, flowers, trees, shrubs, houseplants, succulents, ornamentals and more. Save time and money with this quick and easy solution to mildew, mold, and fungus. *Test spray a few leaves full application*
- FARMER RECOMMENDED – Unique blend of food-grade PREMIUM essential oils including garlic, thyme, clove and peppermint oils broken down to NANO-SIZE particles for MAXIMUM COVERAGE. Crop Control is made with natural food-grade ingredients so you can feel good about what you are putting on your plants and the planet.
- GUARANTEED TO WORK FOR YOU – We are totally confident that Trifecta Crop Control will work for you, as it has for thousands of other growers. With your Trifecta Crop Control purchase, you are protected by Amazon’s money-back guarantee (all terms apply) so you can order now with CONFIDENCE.
Additional Info :
- KILLS & REPELS. A preventative and a treatment, this spray is a natural pest repellent, and kills mosquitoes, ants, fleas, ticks, roaches, flies, scorpions, chiggers, crickets, chinch bugs, japanese beetles, no-see-ums, gnats and more. Safe alternative to conventional pesticide sprays, baits, ant granules, zappers or foggers.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe around cats, dogs and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed outside areas. Just attach directly to a garden hose, spray your backyard, and enjoy. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate!
- TREATS UP TO 5,000 SQUARE FEET. A bug control spray that can be safely used on lawns, gardens, grass, picnic areas, playgrounds, patios, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS. No artificial colors, fragrances or harsh pesticides. Made in the USA from powerful, sustainable plant-based ingredients. Cruelty free and biodegradable. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate!
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS PERMETHRIN. Powered by cedar oil, our eco-friendly formula is proven to kill and repel pests. Safe when sprayed outdoors around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies. Permethrin-Free. Packaging may vary.
Additional Info :
- Newly Revised with the Latest, Safest Organic Solutions.
Additional Info :
- FRESH SCENT: EcoSmart’s Natural Garden Insect Killer kills garden pests by contact with the help of plant essential oils, such as Rosemary Oil and Peppermint Oil, so there is no overbearing, harsh chemical smell- only a fresh scent and no bugs
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: Our natural, plant-based formula is safe to use on ornamentals, shrubs, flowers, small trees, vegetables and fruit crops (household use only), but won’t harm fish, wildlife and does not contaminate groundwater supplies
- CHILD AND PET FRIENDLY: Safe to use around children and pets (when used as directed)
- NO CHEMICALS: Take chemicals out of your lawn, garden and home equation with EcoSmart
- MADE IN THE USA
Additional Info :
- KILLS & REPELS. A preventative and a treatment, this plant-powered spray is handcrafted with the purest natural essential oils. Kills mosquitoes, ants, fleas, ticks, roaches, flies, scorpions, crickets, chinch bugs, japanese beetles, no-see-ums, gnats, and more. Safe alternative to conventional pesticide sprays, baits, ant granules, zappers or foggers.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe for cats, dogs and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed outside areas. Just mix desired amount of product into any applicator and fill to the top with recommended amount of water, spray your backyard, and enjoy.
- TREATS UP TO 10,000 SQUARE FEET. A bug control spray that can be safely used on lawns, gardens, patios, grass, picnic areas, playgrounds, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed. Our concentrates are a great refill to the Wondercide Ready-to-Use Outdoor Pest Control Spray. Applicator required (not included).
- TREAT NATURE WITH NATURE. Our plant-derived concentrates are effective and powered by natural essential oils. Can be used safely on yards, gardens (including edible gardens), patios, flowers, siding, brick, paint, and more. Non-harsh formula.
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS PERMETHRIN. Powered by cedar oil, our eco-friendly formula is proven to kill and repel pests. Safe around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies when sprayed outdoors. Permethrin-Free.
Additional Info :